Advertisements

Amanda Knox ex-boyfriend due back to court May 2016

Amanda Knox’s former flame, Raffaele Sollecito is back in the news. It is being reported that an Italian judge has set the date for his next trial to start on May 13, 2016. Sollecito is going back to court to face a defamation lawsuit from statements made in his book, Honor Bound.

Earlier this year Amanda and Raffaele escaped 28.5 and 25 year prison sentences, respectively, for the murder of Meredith Kercher. However, their legal troubles appear to be far from over.

“PERUGIA, June 4, 2015 – The preliminary hearing judge in Florence indicted Raffaele Sollecito, who will be tried in the Tuscan capital since accused of defamation against a Perugian [prosecutor] who had him arrested, Giuliano Mignini, and for insulting police – the first hearing was scheduled for May 2016.”

While provisionally freed during the seven years that they appealed their murder convictions, Knox and Sollecito each penned memoirs rehashing their experiences. Publishers dished out $4 million and $1 million respectively for their novels.

Unfortunately, it appears that their literary triumphs have now turned into legal troubles. Accusations of defamation have been brought against both of them and they will be bringing them back to the court house.

One of the victims of defamation in this case is the nemesis of the Friends of Amanda Knox (FOA), long-suffering Perugian prosecutor Giuliano Mignini.

In the past Amanda Knox has said she will not return to court willingly but would have to be taken back “kicking and screaming.” One person who has experience with being screamed at is Sig. Mignini:

“When an American woman marched up to prosecutor Giuliano Mignini last week in court and yelled “You are evil” at him, it was indicative of how the balding, avuncular magistrate has enraged supporters of Amanda Knox like no other person connected to the case.” There has been no word on whether Knox plans to shriek at Mignini at her future defamation trials.

For the past seven years advocates for Knox have been maligning Mignini in social media. Charges of abuse of office were brought against him. However, last December in a stunning set-back to Knox allies, Guiliano Mignini was cleared of all charges:

The court’s ruling finally settles the long debated question of Mignini’s record: He has no abuse of office conviction, and there is no longer any active investigation into such allegations.”

While Mignini has been exonerated by the Italian justice system, the same cannot be said for the two formerly caged love birds. Knox and Sollecito are each facing separate court appearances for defamation.

If Sollecito and his ghost writer Gumbel play their cards right, they will be able to clear their names like Mignini has done. Sollecito and Gumbel face some stiff fines if found guilty.

Knox, a convicted felon from her previous conviction for aggravated defamation (calunnia) against Patrick Lumumba which was finalized by the Italian Supreme Courts, faces stiffer sentencing. If Knox is found guilty of a second charge of defamation, she may face possible prison time as well as be required to pay restitution.

Raffaele Sollecito hired a new attorney, Alfredo Briziolo to represent him in his defamation trial.

Both Knox and Sollecito’s books are only published in the U.S.

Advertisements

One response

  1. […] to be very courageous to write another book since his first one has given him a new court date.  Sollecito is due back in court in May 2016 to face defamation charges stemming from his first […]

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: