In the criminal complaint filed against Brendt Christensen, it revealed that the man who allegedly kidnapped Yingying Zhang visited fetish websites. He perused forums that discussed abduction and “planning a kidnapping.”
Christensen’s online Fetish profile has also appeared in social media streams.
In his fetish bio, Christensen stated that he is married since 2011 but also has a girlfriend and in addition to this, was looking for more women to “talk to.” He uses the name ‘Akuma689.’ Akuma is the name of a character in a video game, a street fighter. “Akuma (Japanese for “Devil” or “Demon”), known in Japan as Gouki (豪鬼, Gōki, lit. “Great Demon” or “Great Ogre”), is a fictional character from the Street Fighter series of fighting games by Capcom” (Ref Wikipedia)
He also posted a picture of an album cover of South African music group Die Antwoord.
689 ostensibly refers to his birth month – June 1989.
He then wrote “House Slytherin” in a reference to Harry Potter. Slytherin is the fictitious house in the story with the most dark or evil powers. “Slytherin is one of the four Houses at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. . .character traits are cunning, resourcefulness, and ambition” (Ref Harrypotter.wikia.com)
Under the “About Me” section Christensen writes,
“I want to test my limits and experience everything.”
Christensen then goes on to describe himself as ‘dominant,’ ‘brat tamer,’ ‘sadist,’ ‘non-monogamist,’ experimentalist,’ ‘rigger,’ ‘primal hunter,’ voyeur,’ and ‘degrader.’ To understand the mindset of Yingying’s alleged abductor/murderer better, below are definitions of these top terms that he uses to describe himself.
BDSM refers to a range of sexual preferences that generally relate to enjoyment of physical control, psychological control, and/or pain. It can be broken down into six overarching components: bondage and discipline, domination and submission, and sadism and masochism. Bondage and discipline consist of using physical or psychological restraints, domination and submission involve an exchange of power and control, and sadism and masochism refer to taking pleasure in others’ or one’s own pain or humiliation. Those who practice BDSM may identify with one or more, in any combination, of these components. — Ali Hebert and Angela Weaver, Canadian Journal of Human Sexuality, August 2014 (Ref: Merriam Webster Dictionary)
- Dominant: “Dominance and submission (also called D/s) is a set of behaviors, customs, and rituals involving the submission of one person to another in an erotic episode or lifestyle. It is a subset of BDSM. Physical contact is not necessary, and D/s can be conducted anonymously over the telephone, email, or other messaging systems. In other cases, it can be intensely physical, sometimes crossing into sadomasochism. In D/s, both parties take pleasure or erotic enjoyment from either dominating or being dominated. Those who take the superior position are called dominants—Doms (male) or Dommes (female)—while those who take the subordinate position are called submissives—or subs (male or female). A switch is an individual who plays either role. Two switches together may negotiate and exchange roles several times in a session. “Dominatrix” is a term usually reserved for a female professional dominant who dominates others for pay.” -Ref Wikipedia
- Brat Tamer: “Within the BDSM culture, a brat tamer is a dominant who disciplines a naughty or disobedient submissive partner (also called a brat). This is a way for the dominant to regain power over the submissive if the submissive is not participating accordingly.” -Ref Urban Dictionary
Social media commentators point out that Christensen being a ‘brat tamer’ meant that he enjoyed when his victim resisted his painful attacks. It would have been a turn on for him when the woman fought back.
- Sadist: ” 1: the derivation of sexual gratification from the infliction of physical pain or humiliation on another person — compare masochism, sadomasochism 2a: delight in cruelty b: excessive cruelty” Ref: Merriam Webster Dictionary
- Experimentalist: “A person who seeks or enjoys new experiences.” (Ref Definitions.net)
- Rigger: “A bondage rigger is a person of any gender who practices the art of tying bondage, usually with rope.” (Ref Wikipedia)
- Primal hunter (aka primal): “A type of sexual kink or deviancy which involves becoming animalistic during sex. Can include scratching, biting, general brute force, and animal-type noises like howling, snarling, growling, etc. The dominants in this kink community are sometimes referred to as primal hunters and the subs are primal prey.” (Ref Urban Dictionary)
- Voyeur: “a person that likes to watch other people engage in sexual acts” (Ref Urban Dictionary)
- Degrader: “From a sexual standpoint, degradation refers to a consensual technique used to embarrass, demean, and humiliate the submissive partner. This technique procures sexual stimulation and arousal to both parties, as well as spectators, if any. Degradation can occur in both a public and private context. Since it is an intensely subjective issue, degradation involves several types of activities in both a sexual and non-sexual context. It is also important to note that degradation is a consensual activity. Sexual degradation aims at bringing an intense feeling of submission to the person being embarrassed and/or humiliated. Examples of degradation including spitting, ejaculating on, or urinating on the submissive partner. In some contexts, the dominant party may require their sub to remove all of their clothes in public places like BDSM parties, strip clubs, and other adult venues. Other aspects of sexual degradation can include verbal abuse, insults, verbal and physical belittlement, degrading references, small penis humiliation, mockery, forced exhibitionism, and forced repetition.” (Ref Kinkly.com)
All of the activities that Christensen posted that he enjoyed online correspond directly to the crimes he is accused of. At his bail hearing, prosecutors stated that they had recordings of Christensen telling someone about how Yingying fought back against him and resisted him.
Yingying has been missing for almost a month and has not been found yet.